Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Healthy Spaghetti Recipe

One of my favorite food is spaghetti. This is how I make mine. It has plenty of protein and whole grains plus some veggies! This is simple, quick, and easy. This will be my lunch at work for the rest of the week.

What you need:

1 package of Jennie O Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage
A box of Whole Grain Spaghetti (brand doesn't matter)
1 Jar of spaghetti sauce (I use Ragu's Chunky Garden Vegetables)
Half of one medium size onion, chopped
Black pepper and garlic powder to taste
Optional: Half bag of frozen fully cooked small shrimp, thawed

The package of sausage looks like this (the sausage was already in the pan with I thought of taking pictures):



The sausage if very flavorful and smells great when it is cooking. You can find this at just about any grocery store

Remove the sausage from the package and cut open the skin casings. Put them in a pan on med-high heat. Throw in the chopped onions. Brown the sausage, just as you would with any type of ground meat. I use a potato masher to break the meat up while it is cooking. It is just easier for me that way (I learned that from Rachel Ray).


While you have the sausage and onions going, bring a pot of water to boil. Once boiling, throw in your whole wheat pasta. I use about three health pinches of pasta and break it in half. Use whatever amount of pasta you would use when making spaghetti with one pound of meat. Once the pasta is done to your liking, drain off water, put back in the pot your were boiling in (I have a designated spaghetti pot! lol). Add the sausage and onions and the jar of spaghetti sauce.



Fill the spaghetti jar to a little less than half way with water, swirl it around to get the rest of the sauce and pour it into the pot.

If you are adding shrimp, you would toss those in at this point.

Let everything marry together for a couple of minutes (about 7 minutes if you are using shrimp), stirring frequently. Then season with black pepper and garlic powder to taste & you are done!!!!


Let me know what you think!

Until next time loves!!!

2 comments: